Is Homebirth right for you?
Our Scope of Practice
Midwifery encompasses a wide range of health care services for women from preconception, through the childbearing years to menopause.
High Desert Midwives offer:
Individualized & complete prenatal, birth and postpartum care
Support & encouraging women's autonomy & choices
VBAC (vaginal birth after cesarean. NM only allows 1 previous cesarean for homebirth)
Comprehensive lab work
Referrals for ultrasounds (if desired)
Herbal and natural remedies
Dedicated Breastfeeding Assistance with home visits as needed
Co-management with physician for complicated pregnancies
Cost and investment of your care with High Desert Midwifery:
- Fee of $5000. (does not include lab testing, ultrasounds or consultations with other providers)
- Non-refundable deposit/retainer fee of $600 due at your initial appointment (applied towards fee for self-pay)
- Travel expenses outside of Abq city limits (from my home): up to 30 miles $150.00; 30-50 miles $250.00; 50+ miles $1600.00. (2 hr max drive from Abq. Availability is dependent on how many clients are due in Abq) We will travel to areas that do not have a Home Birth Midwife. Otherwise we encourage you to use your local Home Birth Midwife.
- High Desert Midwifery's fee is collected up front throughout your care. Payment plans available.
- Sliding scale fee for those experiencing extreme financial hardship-inquire for further info
- After your birth, a claim is then submitted to your insurance, if applicable
- Click here for more info on insurance and billing
- You must be paid-in-full by the 37th week of pregnancy for us to attend your birth
- I am a Medicaid provider with BCBS and Presbyterian. (I am NOT contracted with Western Skies)
- Monthly prenatal visits until 28wks, every 2 wks until 36wks, weekly visits until you deliver. Postpartum home visits on day 1 & 4, office visits at 2, 4 and 6 wks
- Average prenatal visits: 12; Average postpartum visits: 4
- High Desert Midwives are available 24/7
- Our practice fills up very quickly! Please don't wait too long to schedule a consult/initial appointment with us. It is not uncommon to reach capacity soon after women know they are pregnant.
- Please note I am unable to hold due date/spots on the calendar, with out a non-refundable deposit, if you are still undecided.
- I accept late transfers in pregnancy, ideally up to 28wks, latest being 34wks if I have space. Midwifery care in a homebirth practice is a much more intimate and tailored experience for mothers and her family. Time is needed when switching from the medical model to planning a natural, family-centered homebirth where you are in control. We also need adequate time to get to know each other. The highlight of having a homebirth!
"A woman in harmony with her spirit
is like a river flowing.
She goes where she will without pretense
and arrives at her destination,
prepared to be herself
and only herself"